Browse through our Recommended Links section. All Recommended Links are external pages and are intended to provide information for various groups within the City of Kenora. Remember that the content of these pages are for infomation purposes only.
AskON / ON demande - live online reference assistance
47 Alternatives to Wikipedia (About.com)
- Best Free Web Sites 1999-2010 RUSA Machine-Assisted Reference Section (MARS)
- Canada Site Gateway to Canadian Information by the government of Canada
- Canadian Information by Subject (Library and Archives Canada)
- The Canadian Encyclopedia Online
- Centre Global d'Information List of French ready reference resources (Ontario Library Service - North)
- Digital Librarian: a librarian's choice of the best of the Web maintained by Margaret Vail Anderson, a librarian in Cortland, New York.
- Internet Public Library Pathfinders guides written by IPL staff to help get you started doing research on a particular topic.
- iTools brings you several language tools like dictionaries and translation tools, biographical and quotation resources, maps, stock quotes
- Libraryspot.com by StartSpot Mediaworks, developer and publisher of a family of information sweet spots designed to make finding the best category-specific information on the World Wide Web a quick, easy and enjoyable experience.
- RefDesk.com Since 1995, Refdesk is a free and family-friendly web site that indexes and reviews quality, credible, and current web-based resources
- The Virtual Reference Library The VRL is a subject-based, reliable, Internet information source with special focus on Canadian and Ontario information. The Virtual Reference Library offers access to librarian-selected websites, self-guided research support, library information.
- Who's Alive and Who's Dead The web site dedicated to helping you find out which of the noted celebrities of our time are with us, and which ones have died.
- Wikipedia Web-based, multi-language
- Canada Yellow Pages
- Canada 411 -Telephone Directories Canadian Government Electronic Directory Service
- Canada Post - Postal Code Look Up
- AnyWho - Find Telephone Numbers and Addresses: AT&T's feature-rich phone book on the Internet - reverse lookups, street proximity listings for business or residential, "sounds like" match for last name lookups, and maps of the address
- Infobel World detailed index of online phone books - Yellow Pages, White Pages, Business Directories, Email Addresses and Fax Listings from all around the world
- Fact Monster (for kids) Online almanac, dictionary, encyclopedia and homework help
- Guinness World Records
- Infoplease - U.S.
- The Old Farmer's Almanac
- Amateur Radio and DX Reference Guide: Featuring over 700 amateur radio topics from abbreviations to zones
- Anagrams. Internet Anagram Server
- Animal Diversity Web (University of Michigan Museum of Zoology)
- eNature.com Online Field Guide is a searchable database for identifying more than 4,000 plant and animal species of North America. The species accounts are from the best-selling National Audubon Society Field Guides, Regional Guides, and Nature Guides.
- JungleWalk.com " ... large compilation of video and audio clips, which is currently the primary focus of this site, should complement other available animal directories in the web. Please do not copy images from this site except for personal use. Most images have been adapted from images obtained from royalty-free sources. The original references are provided under all images, please visit the respective site for your image needs."
- PetStation The guide to natural and enlightened pet-keeping. Directory of information about all types of pets, including dogs, cats, birds, horses, amphibians, reptiles, small mammals, aquarium fish and more.
- Species at Risk Environment Canada
- Anthems of the World Extensive collection anthem sound files in midi format. Text of the national anthem, when available, is in either the country's language or English or both.
- National Anthems: links to a variety of Web sites that offer the music of the anthem (as au, wav, or midi sound files) as well as the text in either the native language or English or both
- GoAntiques.com Lists over 20,000 dealers worldwide
- CurioScape the largest antique, collectible, art, and speciality online resource
- Ontario Antique Dealers Favourite links for buyers and sellers
- The Great Buildings Collection: greatarchitecture from around the world and across history are listed, with photographic images, architectural drawings, discussion, bibliography, architect info, and also live 3D models and digital video clips.
- Ontario Architecture
- Toronto Reference Library: Architectural Index for Ontario
- Artcyclopedia: the guide to museum quality art on the internet. Browse/search by artist, links to museum sites, image archives, and other online resources.
- Inuit Art Portal to Inuit art in Canada
- Associations on the Net (Internet Public Library)
- Canadian Astronomical Society
- Canadian Astronomy Education
- Favorite Astronomy Links (Sonoma State University)
- AutoFacts.org Car questions answered
- Auto Facts: Used Car Buying Tips
- Canadian Blue Book (used cars Ontario)
- Canadian Driver New and used car prices, consumer info etc
- Kelley Blue Book
- What is Your Car Worth?
- Biography and People (Marquette University) Lists biographical sites in many areas
- Canadian Women in History (About.com)
- World Biographical Index (Trinity western University, B.C.) Database contains about 2.4 million short biographical entries for prominent individuals who lived in North and South America, Western and Central Europe, Australia, New Zealand, and Oceania.
- All About Birds (The Cornell Lab of Ornithology) A really excellent resource for birds, which includes species from all over the world with range maps, songs, colour photographs, etc. And it's easy to navigate, too. I use this a lot for people who are getting interested in birdwatching, or wanting to identify birds in their backyard.
- Avibase: the world bird database This site is managed by Denis Lepage and hosted by Bird Studies Canada, the Canadian copartner of Birdlife International.
- Electronic Resources on Ornithology
- The Annual reports Library
- Canadian Consumer Information Gateway Bring together on a single website the very best consumer information, tools and services available from the most objective and reliable sources.
- Canadian Patent Database (Canadian Intellectual Property Office)
- Canadian Trade-marks (Canadian Intellectual Property Office)
- GDSourcing T his site is designed to help Canadian entrepreneurs with limited research budgets locatefree and low cost Canadian data for their small business market research.
- Researching a Company's Finances Online: An online guide to researching company and industry information on the World Wide Web.
- Retail Council of Canada
- Conversion and Calculation Center
- Currency Converter (Bank of Canada)
- Exchange Rates (Bank of Canada)
- Martindale's Calculators Online Center: over 5,500 links to calculators online on almost every topic, e.g., finance, home repair, medicine, cooking, textiles, and navigation
- Mortgage Calculator
- Moving and Relocation Calculator and Guide
- SOS Mathematics: tables and formulas Calendars
- History of the Months and meanings of their names.
- Time and Date
On This Day (Sympatico.ca) Find out what happened on any day of the year
- Canadiana:The Canadian Resource Page Early Canadiana Online (ECO) is a collaborative research project to provide Web access to a digital library of primary sources in Canadian history from the first European contact to the late 19th century. The collection is particularly strong in the subject areas of literature, women's history, native studies and the history of French Canada.
- Multicultural Canada (Simon Fraser University) This digitization project grew from our conviction that the cultural groups that make up our country have little-known stories that need to be researched and told. Through newspapers, interviews, photographs, print and material culture people tell us who they are.
- Citing Electronic Resources (Internet Public Library)
- Index of Canadian Municipalities online Canadian Government Information on the Internet
- Canadian Consumer Information Gateway (The Office of Consumer Affairs) Brings together on a single website the very best consumer information, tools and services available from the most objective and reliable sources.
- Consumer Guide Car prices and product reviews.
- Consumer Reports Online
- Consumer Search Product reviews
- Consumer World A public service, non-commercial guide cataloguing over 2000 of the most useful consumer resources.
- Wishabi.ca Canadian consumer information website that offers advanced tools for product research in order to help Canadians make the most informed decisions while making purchases. Wishabi is a Toronto based next-generation shopping application only available to Canadians. Wishabi makes it easy for Canadian consumers to find items in Canadian dollars from both sides of the border and allows users to leverage their Facebook social connections to help them shop. Wishabi combines crowd sourcing with automated systems to bring the best deals to Canadian consumers.
See also Geography
- Altapedia Online Contains full color physical and political maps as well as key facts and statistics on countries of the world.
- Background Notes: full text US State Dept. Background Notes, history, geography, government, politics, economy, etc.
- Country Profiles (BBC News) Full profiles
provide an instant guide to history, politics and economic
background of countries and territories, and background on key
They also include audio or video clips from BBC archives.
- The World Factbook (CIA)
- Crochet Guild of America
- Knitpedia knitting resources on the web
- Quilting (About.com)
- Woolworks: the online knitting compendium This site is not active anymore. It has been shut down since 2008 but the pages have been archived and are still available to browse.
- Woodworking Learn, Share, and shop for your favourite woodworking hobby.
- The Ballet Information on ballet, its history, great dancers, and the ballets themselves
- Artishoc Contemporary dance journal
- Le grand dictionnaire terminologique Bilingual Canadian dictionary containing 3 million terms in French and English covering 200 areas of activity.
- OneLook Dictionaries, the Faster Finder Roget's II: The New Thesaurus, Third Edition. 1995.
- Visual Dictionary Online (Merriam-Webster) When you know what something looks like but not what it's called, or when you know the word but can't picture the object,The Visual Dictionary has the answer. In a quick look, you can match the word to the image.
- Word Search: Search Dictionaries, Thesauri and Encyclopedias
- Ontario Ministry of Education and Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (Main Page) Curriculum and Policy (elementary and Secondary curricula)
- Canadian Encyclopedia online
- Encyclopedia: Yahoo - Columbia Encyclopedia
- Encyclopedia: Internet Public Library
- Academy Awards (Oscar.com)
- Internet Movie Database
- Movie Review Query Engine Dozens of categories to search, see MRQE Top picks
- Roger Ebert's Movie Reviews
- Top Ten Sites for Free Full Length Movies (About.com)
- Toronto International Film Festival
- World Film Festival (Montreal)
First Nations Content
- Aboriginal Canada Portal - Government of Canada
- Aborigingal Ars Secretariat - Canada Council for the Arts
- Canadian Heritage - Aboriginal Affairs Branch
- Festivals.com Popular and widely used Web site devoted exclusively to the worldwide festival industry and the premier resource on the Internet for festivals and community events around the globe.
- First Nations Periodical Index
- Indigenous Studies Portal and Research Tool - University of Saskatchewan
- Library and Archives Canada - Aboriginal Resources and Services
- Native American Authors - ipl2
First Nations Political Organizations
- Fashion Era Contains 615 content rich, illustrated pages of Fashion History, Costume History, Clothing, Fashions and Social History
- Fashion Trendsetting Directory of fashion forecasting, trend reporting, and news e-zine
- Period Clothing 101 (The Children of Fort Langley web site) Links page to Web sites of interest to re-enactors
- CPR: all the information you need to learn the basics of CPR.
- Health and Medicine Resources: Medicine.Net
- St. John Ambulance in Canada Flags:
- Canadian and Provincial Flags and Arms
- Canadian Heritage Signature & the Canada Wordmark The following rules are fundamental to corporate identity and should be observed when presenting the signature and wordmark.
- World Flag Database
- All Recipes Thousands of recipes submitted by home cooks. Searchable database, and menu ideas.
- Internet Epicurean
- Aardwolf Games Database A public database of FREE information about over 2500 games
- The Card Games web site
See also Countries
- Atlas of Canada
- The Canadian Atlas Online (Canadian Geographic)
- Country Studies (Library of Congress) Presents a description and analysis of the historical setting and the social, economic, political, and national security systems and institutions of countries throughout the world. This Web site also contains brief, more up-to-date Country Profiles on select countries.
- Geoconnections Discovery Portal. See Maps and Images Use this section to unearth a vast array of sources for maps, satellite images, aerial photos and more. The information provided by these governments, agencies, and organizations can help you turn questions into answers, observations into insights, theories into facts.
- Geographical Names of Canada
- The Map Library (United Nations) and World Macro Regions and Components
- Maps and Geography Guide (National Geographic)
- National Geographic Publications Index Now you can turn all of those issues of National Geographic sitting in your basement or on your office shelves into a useful research tool. This bibliographic database contains indexing (title, author, subject, date) for major National Geographic Society publications including National Geographic magazine back to 1888.
- Bill Tracker Status of legislation (bills) before the federal Parliament.
- Canada Site First point of access to information about the Canada and its government
- Canadian Representatives Abroad directory of Government of Canada diplomatic and consular missions overseas and is also a resource for finding Canada-based staff at those missions
- Goverrment Electronic Directory Services (Public Works and Government Services Canada)
- Governments on the WWW: Comprehensive database of governmental institutions on the World Wide Web: parliaments, ministries, offices, law courts, embassies, city councils, public broadcasting corporations, central banks, multi-national organisations etc.
- How Canadians Govern Themselves (Library of Parliament) Excellent readable source
- Legislative Assembly of Ontario Profiles of MPPs, House documents, Hansard data, etc.
- Publications Ontario Online. E-commerce site for the purchase of provincial government publications for depository libraries and others.
- Rulers This site contains lists of heads of state and heads of government (and, in certain cases, de facto leaders not occupying either of those formal positions) of all countries and territories, going back to about 1700 in most cases.
- Settlement.org This user friendly resources is aimed at new immigrants but will be useful for all Ontarians wanting to access government information relating to employment, schools, health, etc.
- Heraldry on the Internet
- Pimbley's Dictionary of Heraldry
- Heraldric Resources (Royal Heraldry Society of Canada). Comprehensive list of sites on all aspects of heraldry
- American and British History Research Guides (Rutgers University)
- American Cultural History: The Twentieth Century from Kingwood College Library. Series of web guides on the decades of the twentieth century.
- Archives of Ontario
- Brittanica Guide to Black History History ... It's Happening (EBSCO) Free interactive website
- HyperHistory presents 3000 years of world history with a combination of colorful graphics, lifelines, timelines, and maps.
- National Archives of Canada
- Ontario Time Machine Project This innovative educational tool for Ontario students and their teachers features a digital collection of 19th century almanacs, yearbooks, school readers, and pioneer guides that come to life with an interactive, page-turning user interface and fun facts about each item.
- Ready Reference: A large and expanding collection of timelines from the BBC House and Home
- Better Homes and Gardens - Home decorations and ideas
- eHow.com Step by step instructions on how to do things, written or reviewed and edited by staff, are searchable through 14 subject areas or by keyword.
- Fabric Care Center
- Home Decorating (About.com)
- Home Repair Household Hints and Tips
- Popular Mechanics Homeowners' Clinic
- How Stuff Works
- Insurance Information and Resources (Insurance Canada)
- Career Profiles: career and job search guide. (US)
- Damn Good Resume Books: excellent site from well know print series.
- Indeed.ca A one-stop shop for job seekers. Includes all the job listings from major job boards, newspapers, associations and company career pages and adding new sites every day.
- Service Canada Job Bank service for employers and job searchers
- The Riley Guide
- Workopolis: Canada's biggest job site A job search site created through an alliance between Globe Interactive and Toronto Star Newspapers. Boasts 40,000 available job postings daily.
- Access to Justice Network The site for Canadian law and justice resource materials.
- CLEO Community Legal Education Ontario: provides clear, accurate and practical legal information to help people understand and exercise their legal rights.
- The Canadian Legal L EXPERT® Directory identifies the leading Canadian law firms and lawyers in over 50 practice areas across Canada.
- E-Laws / Lois en ligne (Ontario) "updated legislation incorporating all amendments will be available on-line within 14 days of enactment"
- Everybody's Legal Dictionary (U.S.-based)
- Legislation Research Guide (Ryerson University Library)
- Search Canadian Public Records by Province / Ontario / Ontario Cities and Townships (Subscription required) Search Systems' public record service offers the public the chance to get the facts on people or businesses. Researchers can access a directory of criminal record databases, verify contractor and professional licenses, check out corporations, and look up property records and business permits. The site provides access to marriage and death records, the location of sex offenders, and much more.
- Media Awareness Network offers practical support for media education in the home, school and community and provides Canadians and others with information and "food for thought" on our fast-evolving media culture. It's also a place where educators, parents, students and community workers can share resources and explore ways to make media a more positive force in children's lives.
- Media Literacy Online Project: Comprehensive media literacy resource collection for educators provided by the College of Education, University of Oregon.
- Magazines (Yahoo list)
- Ask Doctor Math (Drexel University)
- Morse Code Translator
- Campfire Song Book:l yrics of 150 songs, by title and subject, from South African Scout Association.
- The Classical Music Navigator (West Kentucky U) "Information on 444 classical composers, arranged in a format designed to help users expand their awareness of the musical literature on the basis of their already-existing likes."
- Instrument Encyclopedia This site has been archived, but still contains useful information on more than 140 artifacts from the Stearns Collection at the University of Michigan. Resources include a glossary of musical terms, information about museum instrument collections in Canada and the United States, and other WWW sites featuring instrument collections.
- Music Resources on the Internet An extensive collection of free music graphics and annotated links to music information, resources, graphics, newsgroups, discussion lists, organizations, publications, and more are at this website. Although emphasis is on classical and jazz genres, many general resources are listed as well.
- mymusicindex.com This web site was created as a quick-reference, informational music resource consisting of a collection of related music links. This web site was specifically designed for music educators, students and others interested in accessing information in the areas of music education, specifically, choral, general, and instrumental music.
- Sheet Music: spans the years 1780 to 1960, but its strength is 19th and early 20th century American popular music, more than 26,000 pieces of music are searchable by keyword or browsed by box number or cover art. Information includes: title; composer; lyricist; arranger; publication; forms of composition; instrumentation; first line; first line of chorus; dedicatee; engraver, lithographer, artist; and subject. Part of Special Collections at the Milton S. Eisenhower Library of The Johns Hopkins University.
- Song Lyrics; Libretti William and Gayle Cook Music Library from the Indiana University School of Music
- Worldwide Internet Music Resources. William and Gayle Cook Music Library, Indiana University School of Music. The William and Gayle Cook Music Library at Indiana University is ranked among the top academic music libraries in the United States. The Electronic Music Resources Librarian maintains the Music Library's Website and the Worldwide Internet Music Resources Directory.
- Bulfinch's Mythology Encyclopedia Mystica Mythology, folklore, magic, legends
- Encyclopedia of Greek Mythology (Myth web)
- Folklore, Myth and Legend (from Children's Literature Web Guide. U. Calgary)
- Mythology of North American Indians
- CBC Archives On this Web site you'll find a selection of radio and television clips from the Archives of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation
- CBC National Radio News
- CNN International see also CNN'sSpecial Report section - great for school projects
- Canada.com Site Map
- Canadian Newspapers Association: contains links to Canadian newspapers online, plus connections to online newspapers worldwide, other newspaper organizations with Web sites, journalism resources, journalism schools, and other related items.
- Canadian NewsWire
- Internet Public Library : Online Newspapers: guide to the world's newspapers
- NewsConnect TPL's gateway to news from home and around the world <li>NewsLink: International, multilingual newspapers
- NewsWire, Canada Canada's largest news release database from Canadian corporations, governments, unions, associations, and Public and Investor relations agencies. Check here for legislation, grants, etc.
- Nobel Prize Internet Archive
- The Ultimate Guide to Online Newspapers (Canadian Newspaper Association)
- Philosophy in Cyberspace: comprehensive guide to the world of philosophy with evaluated, annotated links to resources on such topics as aesthetics, ethics, feminism, logic, epistemology, metaphysics, listservs, newsgroups, electronic resources, philosophy departments, organizations, jobs, and even humour.
See also Elections
- Communist Party of Canada
- Family Coalition Party
- Green Party of Ontario
- New Democratic Party
- Ontario Liberal Party
- Political Parties and Elections in Canada Includes US update and Canadian party platforms etc.
- Political Parties in Canada
- Registered Political Parties in Ontario
- Progressive Conservative Party
- Canada Post
- International Postal Authorities
- Stamp Link Use this site as a jump-off platform to other philatelic sites on the Internet.
- Zipcodes: U.S. (United States Postal Service)
- Psychology:Internet Mental Health (and US)
- Bibles.net Directory of online bibles and biblical resources. Excellent resource even if the web pages are difficult to read. Worth persevering.
- Encyclopedia of Religion and Society (Hartford Institute for Religion Research) "The Encyclopedia of Religion and Society marks a unique venture in that it attempts to bring together in a single-volume compendium a state-of-the-art summary of the insights gained by the principal social sciences of religion: anthropology, psychology, and sociology.
- Religious Studies Web Guide (University of Calgary Library) Focuses on free internet resources of use to researchers involved in the academic study of religion.
- Rules: Robert's Rules of Order (1915 version, public domain)
- Science Watch (Thomas Reuters) This very useful new website from Thomson Reuters will help the scientific community to identify the latest developments and research in science Astronomy
- NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration)
- Planets: Multimedia Tour of the Solar System An overview of the history, mythology, and current scientific knowledge of each of the planets and moons in our solar system. Each page has text and images, some have sounds and movies, most provide references to additional related information.
Botanical Society of America Online Image Collection
- Medicinal Plants List
Virtual Library of Botany University of Oklahoma)
Chemistry's periodic table (periodic chart) WebElements
General Chemistry online
Butterflies of North America
Fundamental Physical Constants Frequently Used Constants. NTIS Reference on Constants, Units and Uncertainty. Basic constants and conversion factors of physics and chemistry.
Physics Central (American Physical Society)
- SciCentral: science and engineering directory maintained by professional scientists whose mission is to identify and centralize access to the most valuable scientific resources online. Other areas of note are K-12 science resources for kids and teachers; women & minorities; and links to current news.
- Science.ca combines
rich narrative biography with clear graphic explanation to describe
Canada's greatest scientists and their achievements.
- 50+.net (Canada's Association for seniors)
- A Basic Dictionary of ASL Terms(American Sign Language)
- Sociological Tour through Cyberspace (Trinity University, San Antonio Texas)
- Space: NASA Home Page: a gateway to the largest repository of space-related information on the Internet.
- Sports TSN Canada's Leading Sports Web site
- Style Sheets for Citing Internet & Electronic Resources Humanities (MLA & Chicago), Scientific (APA & CBE), and History (Turabian) , UC Berkeley - Teaching Library Internet Workshops
- SYMBOLS.com contains more than 2,500 Western
signs, arranged into 54 groups according to their
graphic characteristics. In 1,600 articles their histories, uses, and meanings are thoroughly discussed. The signs range from ideograms carved in mammoth teeth by Cro-Magnon men, to hobo signs and subway graffiti.
- Canadian Statistics: GDSourcing: a reference point for FREE Canadian statistics available on-line, designed specifically for new entrepreneurs and small business owners who are searching the Internet for relevant market and industry data.
- HyperStat Online is an introductory-level
hypertext statistics book.
Statistics Canada. Census 2001 data. New releases. Statistics Canada: Population, Statistics and Demographics
- Statistical Abstract of the United States
Statistical Profile of Canadian Communities 2006 /
Profil statistique des communautés canadiennes 2006
- Bibliography on Terrorism, Bioterrorism, the Middle East, and 9-11 Related Issues Complied by Camille Reynolds, Law Librarian Nossaman Guthner Knox & Elliott, San Francisco, CA
- Time Services (National Research Council) This is Canada's official time reference, UTC (NRC), the modern implementation of Greenwich Time, generated by an NRC Cesium Clock
- Complete sun and moon data for one day Time Service Department. US Naval Observatory.
- Time Zone Converter
- WorldClock- Time Zones Canadian Toy Testing Council
- Canadian Trade Index Online Directory
- North American Industry Classification Code (US Census Bureau)
- Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) and
- Thomas Register of American Manufacturers
See also Countries
- Fodor's: guide books and website offers current and discerning shopping, dining, hotel, and culture recommendations, as well as compelling features and articles that convey the essence of each destination
- Mapquest: interactive atlas and map, driving directions, planning travel and much more.
- Voyage.gc.ca (Canada. Dept of Foreign Affairs) For travel advisory, updates, tourist visas requirements
- Travelocity Canada
- Via Rail Canada
Thanks to Ontario Library Services - North for the provision of the above list.