Browse through our Recommended Links section. All Recommended Links are external pages and are intended to provide information for various groups within the City of Kenora. Remember that the content of these pages are for infomation purposes only.
47 Alternatives to Wikipedia (About.com)
Best Free Reference Web Sites 1999-2016 RUSA Machine-Assisted Reference Section
Canada Site- Gateway to Canadian Information. Government Site.
- Digital Librarian: a librarian's choice of the best of the Web maintained by Margaret Vail Anderson, a librarian in Cortland, New York.
- Internet Public Library Pathfinders guides written by IPL staff to help get you started doing research on a particular topic.
- iTools brings you several language tools like dictionaries and translation tools, biographical and quotation resources, maps, stock quotes
- Libraryspot.com by StartSpot Mediaworks, developer and publisher of a family of information sweet spots designed to make finding the best category-specific information on the World Wide Web a quick, easy and enjoyable experience.
- RefDesk.com Since 1995, Refdesk is a free and family-friendly web site that indexes and reviews quality, credible, and current web-based resources
- The Virtual Reference Library The VRL is a subject-based, reliable, Internet information source with special focus on Canadian and Ontario information. The Virtual Reference Library offers access to librarian-selected websites, self-guided research support, library information.
- Wikipedia Web-based, multi-language
- Fact Monster (for kids) Online almanac, dictionary, encyclopedia and homework help
- Guinness World Records
- Infoplease - U.S.
- The Old Farmer's Almanac
- Amateur Radio and DX Reference Guide: Featuring over 700 amateur radio topics from abbreviations to zones
- Anagrams. Internet Anagram Server
- Animal Diversity Web
- PetStation The guide to natural and enlightened pet-keeping. Directory of information about all types of pets, including dogs, cats, birds, horses, amphibians, reptiles, small mammals, aquarium fish and more.
- Species at Risk Environment Canada
- National Anthems: links to a variety of Web sites that offer the music of the anthem (as au, wav, or midi sound files) as well as the text in either the native language or English or both
- Worth Point Research prices and the history of your antiques, art, and vintage collectibles
- CurioScape the largest antique, collectible, art, and speciality online resource
- Ontario Antique Dealers Favourite links for buyers and sellers
- Artcyclopedia: the guide to museum quality art on the internet. Browse/search by artist, links to museum sites, image archives, and other online resources.
- Inuit Art Portal to Inuit art in Canada
- Associations on the Net (Internet Public Library)
- AutoFacts.org Car questions answered
- Auto Facts: Used Car Buying Tips
- Canadian Driver New and used car prices, consumer info etc
- Kelley Blue Book
- What is Your Car Worth?
- Biography and People
- Canadian Government and Politics Articles related to Canadian government programs and issues, the people who create them, and the history that puts it in context.
- All About Birds (The Cornell Lab of Ornithology) A really excellent resource for birds, which includes species from all over the world with range maps, songs, colour photographs, etc. And it's easy to navigate, too. I use this a lot for people who are getting interested in birdwatching, or wanting to identify birds in their backyard.
- Birds Canada Birds Canada is a non-profit, charitable organization built on the enthusiatic contributions of thousands of caring members and volunteer Citizen Scientists.
- Electronic Resources on Ornithology
- Canadian Patent Database (Canadian Intellectual Property Office)
- Canadian Trade-marks (Canadian Intellectual Property Office)
- GDSourcing This site is designed to help Canadian entrepreneurs with limited research budgets locate free and low cost Canadian data for their small business market research.
- Researching a Company's Finances Online: An online guide to researching company and industry information on the World Wide Web.
- Retail Council of Canada
- Conversion and Calculation Center
- Currency Converter (Bank of Canada)
- Exchange Rates (Bank of Canada)
- Martindale's Calculators Online Center: over 5,500 links to calculators online on almost every topic, e.g., finance, home repair, medicine, cooking, textiles, and navigation
- Mortgage Calculator
- Moving and Relocation Calculator and Guide
- SOS Mathematics: tables and formulas
- History of the Months and meanings of their names.
- Time and Date
On This Day Find out what happened on any day of the year
- Early Canadiana Online (ECO) is a collaborative research project to provide Web access to a digital library of primary sources in Canadian history from the first European contact to the late 19th century. The collection is particularly strong in the subject areas of literature, women's history, native studies and the history of French Canada.
- Multi Culti Canada Welcome to Multi Culti Canada. We are your online source for everything you need to know about the past, present, and what the future may bring to Canadian culture and arts. We began our journey in early 2014, and we continue to provide a niche for everyone who shares the same love and interests in the Canadian arts and culture.
- Citing Electronic Resources (Internet Public Library)
- Index of Canadian Municipalities online Canadian Government Information on the Internet
- Consumer Reports Online
- Consumer World A public service, non-commercial guide cataloguing over 2000 of the most useful consumer resources.
See also Geography
- Altapedia Online Contains full color physical and political maps as well as key facts and statistics on countries of the world.
- Background Notes: full text US State Dept. Background Notes, history, geography, government, politics, economy, etc.
- Country Profiles (BBC News) Full profiles
provide an instant guide to history, politics and economic
background of countries and territories, and background on key
They also include audio or video clips from BBC archives.
- Crochet Guild of America
- Quilting (About.com)
- Wood Magazine.com Find the tips, tricks, and techniques for your woodworking shop from wood preparation to finished cabinetry with doors and drawers. You'll also learn about joinery, measuring, and wood finishes.
- The Ballet inforamtion about the history of ballet and the ballet itself
- Dance International Magazine
- Le grand dictionnaire terminologique Bilingual Canadian dictionary containing 3 million terms in French and English covering 200 areas of activity.
- OneLook Dictionaries, the Faster Finder Roget's II: The New Thesaurus, Third Edition. 1995.
- Visual Dictionary Online (Merriam-Webster) When you know what something looks like but not what it's called, or when you know the word but can't picture the object,The Visual Dictionary has the answer. In a quick look, you can match the word to the image.
- Word Search: Search Dictionaries, Thesauri and Encyclopedias
- Ontario Ministry of Education and Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (Main Page)
- Curriculum and Policy (elementary and Secondary curricula)
- Academy Awards (Oscar.com)
- Movie Review Query Engine Dozens of categories to search, see MRQE Top picks
- Roger Ebert's Movie Reviews
- Top Ten Sites for Free Full Length Movies (About.com)
- Toronto International Film Festival
First Nations Content
- Indigenous Arts Centre - Through the Indigenous Art Centre, Crown-Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs Canada (CIRNAC) is entrusted with the care, development, and maintenance of the Indigenous Art Collection, one of the most important collections of contemporary Indigenous art in Canada.
- First Nations Periodical Index
- Indigenous Studies Portal and Research Tool - University of Saskatchewan
- Library and Archives Canada - Aboriginal Resources and Services
- Native American Authors
First Nations Political Organizations
- Fashion Era Contains 615 content rich, illustrated pages of Fashion History, Costume History, Clothing, Fashions and Social History
- Period Clothing 101 (The Children of Fort Langley web site) Links page to Web sites of interest to re-enactors
- CPR: all the information you need to learn the basics of CPR.
- Health and Medicine Resources: Medicine.Net
- St. John Ambulance in Canada
- Flowers By The Lake Kenora's local flower shop! Help spread some joy by sending a bouquet today!
- Canada Safeway From beautiful floral arrangements to single blooms and potted flowers for the home, Safeway's floral team has something for everyone.
- All Recipes Thousands of recipes submitted by home cooks. Searchable database, and menu ideas.
- Internet Epicurean
See also Countries
- Atlas of Canada
- The Canadian Atlas Online (Canadian Geographic)
- Country Studies (Library of Congress) Presents a description and analysis of the historical setting and the social, economic, political, and national security systems and institutions of countries throughout the world. This Web site also contains brief, more up-to-date Country Profiles on select countries.
- Geographical Names of Canada
- The Map Library (United Nations) and World Macro Regions and Components
- Maps and Geography Guide (National Geographic)
- Bill Tracker Status of legislation (bills) before the federal Parliament.
- Canadian Representatives Abroad information by countries and regions
- Goverrment Electronic Directory Services (Public Works and Government Services Canada)
- How Canadians Govern Themselves (Library of Parliament) Excellent readable source
- Rulers This site contains lists of heads of state and heads of government (and, in certain cases, de facto leaders not occupying either of those formal positions) of all countries and territories, going back to about 1700 in most cases.
- Settlement.org This user friendly resources is aimed at new immigrants but will be useful for all Ontarians wanting to access government information relating to employment, schools, health, etc.
- Guide to Grammar and Writing
- Spelling and Grammar Why Spelling and Grammar? Spelling and grammar are important parts of readable writing. Errors interrupt the reader's natural rhythm and ruin the flow.
- Heraldry on the Internet
- International Heraldry and Heralds Heraldry is the practice of devising, granting, displaying, describing, and recording coats of arms and heraldic badges
- Archives of Ontario
- Brittanica Guide to Black History Free interactive website
- Archives Canada In homes, schools and libraries across Canada, people are looking for evidence of what it means to be a Canadian. ARCHIVESCANADA.ca is a gateway to archival resources found in over 800 repositories across Canada--it's your gateway to Canada's collective memory!
- Ontario Time Machine Project This innovative educational tool for Ontario students and their teachers features a digital collection of 19th century almanacs, yearbooks, school readers, and pioneer guides that come to life with an interactive, page-turning user interface and fun facts about each item.
House and Home:
- Better Homes and Gardens - Home decorations and ideas
- House Beautiful Home decorating ideas, kitchen designs, paint colours
- Home Repair Household Hints and Tips
- Popular Mechanics Homeowners' Clinic
- How Stuff Works
- Insurance Information and Resources (Insurance Canada)
- Damn Good Resume Books: excellent site from well know print series.
- Indeed.ca A one-stop shop for job seekers. Includes all the job listings from major job boards, newspapers, associations and company career pages and adding new sites every day.
- Service Canada Job Bank service for employers and job searchers
- The Riley Guide
- Workopolis: Canada's biggest job site A job search site created through an alliance between Globe Interactive and Toronto Star Newspapers. Boasts 40,000 available job postings daily.
- Government of Canada Department of Justice
- CLEO Community Legal Education Ontario: provides clear, accurate and practical legal information to help people understand and exercise their legal rights.
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (the Canadian Lexpert Directory), published since 1997, is based on an extensive peer survey process. It includes profiles of leading practitioners across Canada in more than 60 practice areas and leading law firms in more than 40 practice areas.
- E-Laws / Lois en ligne (Ontario) "updated legislation incorporating all amendments will be available on-line within 14 days of enactment"
- Everybody's Legal Dictionary (U.S.-based)
- Legislation Research Guide (Ryerson University Library)
- Media Awareness Network offers practical support for media education in the home, school and community and provides Canadians and others with information and "food for thought" on our fast-evolving media culture. It's also a place where educators, parents, students and community workers can share resources and explore ways to make media a more positive force in children's lives.
- Digital Museums Canada We invest in online
projects by Canadian museums and heritage organizations, helping
digital capacity and share stories and experiences with people everywhere.
- Smithsonian Institution and Smithsonian Store
- The Canadian Stamp Collection Experience the Canadian story through an outstanding collection of more than 3,000 stamps - every stamp that Canada has ever issued! Housed in a new gallery, the exhibition includes behind-the-scenes stories and unique artifacts.
- Instrument Encyclopedia
- Lester S. Levy Sheet Music Collection The Lester S. Levy Collection of Sheet Music is part of Special Collections at the Milton S. Eisenhower Library of Johns Hopkins University. It contains over 29,000 pieces of music and focuses on popular American music spanning the period 1780 to 1960.
- Worldwide Internet Music Resources. William and Gayle Cook Music Library, Indiana University School of Music. The William and Gayle Cook Music Library at Indiana University is ranked among the top academic music libraries in the United States. The Electronic Music Resources Librarian maintains the Music Library's Website and the Worldwide Internet Music Resources Directory.
- Encyclopedia Mystica Mythology, folklore, magic, legends
- Encyclopedia of Greek Mythology (Myth web)
- Mythology of North American Indians Visit the links to learn about Mythology of North American Indians related to objects in the sky, the Earth, and aspects of their world.
- CBC Archives On this Web site you'll find a selection of radio and television clips from the Archives of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation
- CBC National Radio News
- CNN International see also CNN'sSpecial Report section - great for school projects
- Internet Public Library : Online Newspapers: guide to the world's newspapers
- NewsLink: International, multilingual newspapers
- The Ultimate Guide to Online Newspapers (Canadian Newspaper Association)
- Communist Party of Canada
- Green Party of Ontario
- New Democratic Party
- Ontario Liberal Party
- Political Parties and Elections in Canada Includes US update and Canadian party platforms etc.
- Registered Political Parties in Ontario
- Progressive Conservative Party
- Bibles.net Directory of online bibles and biblical resources. Excellent resource even if the web pages are difficult to read. Worth persevering.
- Encyclopedia of Religion and Society (Hartford Institute for Religion Research) The Encyclopedia of Religion and Society marks a unique venture in that it attempts to bring together in a single-volume compendium a state-of-the-art summary of the insights gained by the principal social sciences of religion: anthropology, psychology, and sociology.
- Religious Studies Web Guide (University of Calgary Library) Focuses on free internet resources of use to researchers involved in the academic study of religion.
- Rules: Robert's Rules of Order (1915 version, public domain)
- Science Watch (Thomas Reuters) This very useful new website from Thomson Reuters will help the scientific community to identify the latest developments and research in science Astronomy
- NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration)
- Planets: Multimedia Tour of the Solar System An overview of the history, mythology, and current scientific knowledge of each of the planets and moons in our solar system. Each page has text and images, some have sounds and movies, most provide references to additional related information.
Botanical Society of America Online Image Collection
- Medicinal Plants List
Virtual Library of Botany University of Oklahoma)
Chemistry's periodic table (periodic chart) WebElements
General Chemistry online
Butterflies of North America
Fundamental Physical Constants Frequently Used Constants. NTIS Reference on Constants, Units and Uncertainty. Basic constants and conversion factors of physics and chemistry.
Physics Central (American Physical Society)
- SciCentral: science and engineering directory maintained by professional scientists whose mission is to identify and centralize access to the most valuable scientific resources online. Other areas of note are K-12 science resources for kids and teachers; women & minorities; and links to current news.
- Science.ca combines rich narrative biography with clear graphic explanation to describe Canada's greatest scientists and their achievements.
- A Basic Dictionary of ASL Terms(American Sign Language)
- Sociological Tour through Cyberspace (Trinity University, San Antonio Texas)
- Sports TSN Canada's Leading Sports Web site
- Style Sheets for Citing Internet & Electronic Resources Humanities (MLA & Chicago), Scientific (APA & CBE), and History (Turabian) , UC Berkeley - Teaching Library Internet Workshops
- SYMBOLS.com contains more than 2,500 Western
signs, arranged into 54 groups according to their
graphic characteristics. In 1,600 articles their histories, uses, and meanings are thoroughly discussed. The signs range from ideograms carved in mammoth teeth by Cro-Magnon men, to hobo signs and subway graffiti.
- Canadian Statistics: GDSourcing: a reference point for FREE Canadian statistics available on-line, designed specifically for new entrepreneurs and small business owners who are searching the Internet for relevant market and industry data.
- HyperStat Online is an introductory-level
hypertext statistics book.
Statistics Canada. Census 2001 data. New releases. Statistics Canada: Population, Statistics and Demographics
- Statistical Abstract of the United States
Statistical Profile of Canadian Communities 2006 /
Profil statistique des communautés canadiennes 2006
- Bibliography on Terrorism, Bioterrorism, the Middle East, and 9-11 Related Issues Complied by Camille Reynolds, Law Librarian Nossaman Guthner Knox & Elliott, San Francisco, CA
- Time Services (National Research Council) This is Canada's official time reference, UTC (NRC), the modern implementation of Greenwich Time, generated by an NRC Cesium Clock
- Complete sun and moon data for one day Time Service Department. US Naval Observatory.
- Time Zone Converter
- WorldClock- Time Zones Canadian Toy Testing Council
- Canadian Trade Index Online Directory
- North American Industry Classification Code (US Census Bureau)
- Standard Industrial Classification (SIC)
- Thomas Register of American Manufacturers
- Fodor's: guide books and website offers current and discerning shopping, dining, hotel, and culture recommendations, as well as compelling features and articles that convey the essence of each destination
- Mapquest: interactive atlas and map, driving directions, planning travel and much more.
- Voyage.gc.ca (Canada. Dept of Foreign Affairs) For travel advisory, updates, tourist visas requirements
- Travelocity Canada
- Via Rail Canada
Thanks to Ontario Library Services - North for the provision of the above list.